Monday 26 March 2018

Am I losing interest in film? - 1 - Taking of Pelham

Tried watching the 1973 Taking of Pelham One-Two-Three - a film which I feel should like because of Robert Shaw's character and the poster, but NYC comedies/cop movies/hostage thrillers (the Entebbe case is different - because that's an international crisis) I've never really enjoyed. It's as if its villains are too good for it. I don't know what it's trying to be. Is it a thriller? Is it a cop movie? Is it a quirky comedy? Is it a disaster film? God knows. It doesn't know. The thing is I always liked the poster.
If it was the London Underground, Shaw leading a bunch of clueless Americans who think they know better - it might have worked. 
Then again, maybe I find films set almost entirely in the underground uncinematic, when they spend too much time there (Death Line I want to love - but David Ladd is grating). 

No comments:

Post a Comment